Thursday, May 23, 2013

Work, Work, Work

It has been a crazy work week this week.  Yesterday I worked 8-12:30, then I had to go back in at 10:30 and didn't finish up until 3:30 this morning.  I came home, in bed by 4:45 and back up by 8:30 and back to work by 10:00.  Fucking killer.  I'm heading to bed soon even though it is still light outside. 

I always bitch when I have to work weird hours like that but at least I know I'm doing something good.  I'd rather be the one delivering the bone marrow than the one waiting for it.  There has been a few occasions where families and parents of patients have come to see me when I drop off their transplants.  They are always so thankful and it makes working a crazy schedule worth it.  I'm thankful I'm healthy (relatively speaking) compared to our patients.  The chances of surviving a bone marrow transplant are on average, about 50%.  It is not an easy thing to endure and I'm amazed when I see some of our pediatric patients getting multiple transplants. 

Anyway, food has been good and exercise has been a little lacking this week but it is better than doing nothing. 
I have not had a sugary snack in over a week and the cravings are starting to go away. I think the idea that I could possibly end up with diabetes if I didn't take care of myself terrifies me.  No snack, no matter how delicious will ever be worth my health.  I always knew this but was never strict with myself until now.  I needed a good kick in the ass and I'm sure I'll continue to need ass-kickings. 

Two weeks from today and we will be new puppy parents!  We already have our name picked out! 

Tomorrow is Friday, fuck yeah!

2 comments:

  1. Proud to say that I have been a registered marrow donor since I was 18. Would be honored if ever I have the chance to donate. Lost my older brother, my father, and a close (young, extremely fit) friend (nearly a year ago; she was 42) to three different forms of leukemia.

    Congratulations on the impending puppy!

    And congratulations on awesome progress getting sugar out of your system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, congrats on your upcoming new family member... Our local animal control guy just scooped up a wayward boa constrictor out of somebody's front yard. He's skinny & scarred up (former owner probably fed him live rats & he was bitten), but Z has been begging for a Big Snake; I kept telling him to be patient & the universe would send us one!

    ReplyDelete